Monday, January 10, 2011

Being a Dad

        From viewing the crystal blue eyes of my newborn son, to seeing a beautiful daughter a nurse had to convince me was mine, to a daughter with a thatch of red hair looking like she was wanting to fight, being a dad has defined my life for the past forty years.  There is nothing that has given me more pleasure.  It has been the fulfillment of dreams having existed since I was a small boy.

        Having come from a family with an abusive father, it has always been my goal to be the very best father I could be.  However, the real challenge came from not having the proper example.  So, I prepared with classes on child development and psychology.  Yet, the real breakthrough came when I committed my life to Christ and looked to my heavenly Father as an example.  Even though I can’t claim perfection, my life is proof of having taken fatherhood serious to the extreme.  None of my children will ever be able to say that I have abused them in any way.  Each of them will always be able to give testimony to my unconditional love.  I am proud of them individually for their own merits.  And, even though I would like to think I have had a part, each of them have become successful adults through their own efforts.

        My children mean more to me than anything.  They are among the greatest gifts I have ever received from God.  The only gifts greater are His love and my wife.  To have enjoyed the pleasure of parenting these precious gifts carries more meaning than I could possible delineate in this blog.  Each stage of their growth, from infancy through adulthood, has been a miraculous experience.  In each phase they have shown God’s greatest love to me.  From Rodney’s kungfuy, to Brook’s hatcha, to Shannon’s precise time-keeping, they have brought joy that can only be found in being a dad.  And now, as Rodney finds his way in the Lord, Shannon begins life with a new mate, and Brook continues to mother her brood, I continue to be elated in simply being their dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment