Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Week 7 2013 Words Mean Things


I recently had an online conversation with someone who bought a pen from me.  I ended my post with my standard salutation, “In Him, Rod.”  It has never occurred to me that anyone could possibly be offended with these three words.  However, three months later this person sent me a message that was very kind in its tone, endeavoring to help me be more successful in my online business.  In her response she indicated that my salutation was not very professional, as there just might be someone out there who would not agree with my sentiment, realizing that I am referring to God.  She went on to ask me how I would feel if she signed off with something like, "Yours in Secularism." Or "Religion poisons everything."  It immediately became apparent to me that she had been hurt by someone who had a faith of some sort.  Of course, my first reaction was to be offended and lash out in defense of my faith.  However, that would have just driven her further from the Lord.

As Christians, how often do we use language that is either foreign or offensive to non-Christians?  While we know what we mean, and appreciate the meaning behind our words, others may not have the positive impression.  James tells us that our tongues can be deadly (James 3:3-6).  Our words are powerful!  They can either bless or curse.  Often the same words can do both, depending upon who is receiving those words.  Case in point, “In Him” is extremely offensive to someone who has been burned by some religious zealot, whereas, to another Christian those words signify the one in whom we share our faith and hope.  It is imperative that we remain sensitive toward those who do not yet know the Lord.  Use language they can understand and appreciate, gently leading them to Word of life through unconditional love, demonstrated through the words we share.  Our speech should always be filled with grace, expressing a love for others that mirrors that which Jesus demonstrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment