Friday, February 22, 2013

Week 8 2013 Just How Ugly Is the Church?


I had an interesting conversation with a neighbor the other day.  This fellow who is approaching his 80th birthday volunteered that he was a non-believer.  As we discussed this revelation I learned that his bride of 54 years, who passed away four years ago, was a believer.  The fact that they were unequally yoked didn’t appear to have had any negative impact on their marriage.  He misses her, but is carrying on with a little help from his sons.  When he announced that he was a non-believer it was with a desire to shock me.  Since he had already told me that he was a political liberal, I really wasn’t all that surprised that he also didn’t believe in God.  However, as we continued our conversation, I soon learned that his belief system was based upon his view of the church.  He told me that the church is ugly.  He said they hate each other, referring to how the different denomination, and non-denominations, treat each other.  This is where he had received his concept of God.  He developed this view as a young boy.  His words struck a nerve.

I didn’t come to know the Lord until I was twenty-seven years old.  I can remember having the same view of the church that my neighbor has.  All of my life I had witnessed the various groups who all claimed to be Christians or Believers, wanting to share their message of love with me, wanting me to join their particular church because it was the best one, or the right one.  When I would ask about another church, the most common response would be that they were wrong and not a part of the “true” church.  It appeared to me that these folks who expressed love for me, and presented a God of love, didn’t love others who were basically offering the same message.  The hypocrisy was overwhelming.  So, I refused to have anything to do with any church.  Fortunately for me, God placed a Christian couple in my life who didn’t try to convert me to a church.  Instead, they lead me to Jesus Christ.  Having been converted to the Lord, developing a relationship with Him, I was able to view the church through His eyes.  With His view, I could share His sorrow over our divisions and lack of love and unity.  And then, I could love the true church, that is, the body of believers without some flawed institutional foundation.  Thus, I am a believer that Christ has placed in His church.  This church doesn’t have a sign over the door, yet, it can be found in places where there is a sign over the door.  This church encompasses believers who have placed their trust in a God who is adorning His church to be a beautiful bride, delivered up to His Son.

So, yes, the church(s) created by mankind for mankind is ugly.  It’s division and shared hatred toward one another is far removed from that which the Lord intended.  But, if our hope is in the Lord, with our faith being in His assurance of salvation, sharing His love for God and each other, then He has added us to His church, that beautiful bride, for which He gave His life!  What church are you a member of?

By the way, as I shared my testimony with my neighbor, he offered that perhaps he might find himself in my position one day.  I pray that it will be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment