Saturday, April 6, 2013

Week 13 2013 Forgiven


Before Christ I was a very sinful man.  I lead a very dark life, pursuing self-interests that often hurt others, both those I loved and those I hardly knew.  My conduct wasn’t malicious.  It was never my intent to hurt anyone.  In fact, even in this sinful state, I thought I was living by the “Golden Rule,” do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Looking back on it, I was self-deluded.  I would never have wanted family, friends, and acquaintances to treat me as I had treated them.  My sinful behavior was nothing but destructive, hurting others and myself.  I wasn’t completely evil.  There was a positive side to my being, just as there is in everyone else. My pursuit of self-gratification was actually not very gratifying.  Ultimately, my sin brought short-lived, temporary, shallow satisfaction.  At the time, I didn’t realize how much I was missing by avoiding sin instead of pursuing sin.  I only came to see this after I came to the Lord.

At the age of twenty-seven I decided to follow Jesus.  The decision was a scary choice for me, because I didn’t know what life would be like on the other side of that decision.  Furthermore, I knew that once I made that decision, I could never turn back.  This would be a lifelong commitment.  Had I known how wonderful life in the Lord would be, I would not have been frightened.  After accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior, He forgave all my sin – past, present, and future.  It took awhile for me to realize it, but He also removed the guilt for these sins.  He paid the only price that could possibly atone for my sins and guilt.  His death, burial, and resurrection set me free from the bondage of sin, releasing me from the chains of the law, providing an abundant life through Him.  This life has been more fulfilling, providing greater satisfaction, gratifying body, soul, and spirit in ways I never dreamed of in my former life.  The only thing I had to give up was the shallow, self-deceptive, sins of which I had been engaged.  The only down side is one that I would have suffered no matter what, the consequences of my sin.  There are scars from the healed wounds, relationships that were harmed and are still less than what they could have been.  Yet, the affects of my sinful activity have been diminished because of my transformed life.

“Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.  And that is what some of you were.  But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”  1 Corinthians 6:9-11

I once was lost in sin, but now I am forgiven.  This is a gift that is offered to anyone who will accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  If you are reading this, and you haven’t made that decision, let me encourage you to do so today.  There is no sin that cannot be forgiven by the Lord, and your life in Him will be greater than you can possibly imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment