Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Week 24 2013 Laugh Out Loud


As we made our way to our next campground in Maine with our motorhome, we drove past Joshy’s.  This is a little roadside eatery that we remember from our last trip to Maine.  They serve wonderful lobster rolls.  After we got set up at our campsite, we drove our Jeep back to Joshy’s for dinner.  Una was getting a little nervous about the route.  She said, “This looks like we’re going back the same way we came in!”


I wasn’t sure what to say.  She was stating the obvious, but she thought there was something wrong with our route.  It was what we often refer to as a “blonde moment.”  When I finally said, “Well, I think we should be if we’re going to Joshy’s,” it dawned on her, and she started laughing out loud.  In fact, with the realization of what she had done, she and I both laughed so hard that we had tears streaming.

Since then, we will be going down the road on our sightseeing trips and I will say, “I think we’re going the same way we were.”  She will laugh all over again.  This is one of Una’s most endearing qualities, the ability to laugh at herself.  Laughter is a big part of her life.  While I am in the other room watching some drama I’ve recorded, she will be watching a sitcom.  It warms my heart to hear her cackling in the other room.

She has often told me that she has added ten years to my life by making me laugh so much.  There is some truth to her statement.  Studies have shown that people who laugh are generally healthier.  God has intended joy for our lives.  He has provided much to promote enjoyment.  Praise is closely aligned with laughter.  Each makes the heart merry.

“A cheerful disposition is good for your health;
    gloom and doom leave you bone-tired.”  Proverbs 17:22 (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment