Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Week 2 2013 Writing


I love to read and write.  Always have!  Yet, when I read my own writing I don’t find that inspirational quality that I so enjoy in other writings.  Oh, I know my writing isn’t horrible, it just isn’t great.  I currently have two books in progress, one autobiographical, the other devotional.  When done, I hope to publish them online.  I have no delusions.  My expectations are very low.  But, I’m going to do it anyway.

As I read the Bible I can’t help but wonder how these various writers felt about their work.  What did they think when they read what they had written?  Oh sure, we know they were writing under the inspiration of God.  Did they know that?  Or were they simply trying to write down what they had seen and heard?  I know the prophets were often spoken to by God, with Him telling them what to write.  But, more often than not, the Bible writers were not simply taking dictation.  Did these writers know that what they had written would be considered to be the word of God?  I have no doubt they were inspired.  However, did they know they were inspired?  What did they think when they read back what they had written?  Better yet, what did they think when others read what they had written, and then revered it?  I suspect that they felt they had something of importance to share with others, and that the best way to do that would be to write it down.  The written word tends to be more dependable than oral tradition.  These writers most likely felt that what they were writing would be an asset to the readers.  So, they wrote.  Without knowing how their writing would affect future generations, they wrote believing God would make use of what was written.  They had a purpose, and fulfilled that purpose when placing the pen upon the paper.

I can’t help but ask the obvious question.  When did God quit making use of that which has been written by mortal men?  Or, better yet, has He quit using the written word of mankind?  Are there those who are yet inspired?  I don’t have the answers.  My personal conviction is that the word of God is complete.  We cannot add to or take away from His word.  As to His inspiration, yes, there are many who are inspired by God to do many wonderful things, including writing.  However, our inspired writings are not the word of God.  They are simply our own words, filled with our own desires, and meant to be enjoyed by others.  Nonetheless, how awesome would it be to have been to be one of the Biblical authors?!

No comments:

Post a Comment