Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Week 1 2013 New Year Resolutions

Every year many people make New Year resolutions.  These are either new, or old, commitments to growth.    Most of the time these have to do with self-improvement of some sort.  Last year I had resolved to read through the Bible again, except with a little different twist.  The translation was a new one to me, Today's New International Version (TNIV), and the plan was to do so chronologically.  I also wanted to write a devotional thought each day.  It felt good to reach that accomplishment.  The benefits coming from reading through God's word are incalculable.

In 2 Peter 3:18 we are encouraged to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  I have been blessed to have had a number of mentors throughout my life who have modeled this verse for me.  In the late eighties, my wife and I attended the Houston Bible Training Work (now known as the South Houston Bible Institute).  This wonderful work was begun in 1946 by G. B. Shelburne, Jr.  It was my honor to have had this man as one of my mentors.  He was in his eighties, and I was in my thirties.  He had been a Christian longer than I had been alive.  While he was my teacher, he was also my student.  It was extremely impressive to witness this spiritual giant being able to learn and grow in his grace and knowledge, and to actually have the humility to do so from his students.  He continued this growth throughout his life.

Unfortunately, there are those who quit growing in their Christian walk.  These come to the conclusion they have received and accepted the truth, and need nothing else.  On the surface this may sound good.  Yet, to have this attitude is actually very arrogant and only promotes stagnation.  To believe this way is to say that one completely understands the mind of God, with full knowledge of all the truth revealed in His word.  It is also saying that your interpretation is the only valid interpretation, which is to say that you have reached perfection.  Those who believe this way are depending upon their own righteousness for their salvation.  When these come to the end of their days, they are filled with doubt, not having as assurance of the salvation found only in the righteousness of Christ.  Grace is often misunderstood, and difficult to fully accept.

When we choose to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord, we find ourselves placing our complete trust in Him for our salvation, and are at peace in our final days on earth.  Thus, might I suggest that you make it your resolution to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment