Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Week 5 2013 Seen in the Details


As we move about, enjoying this beautiful country, I am often captured by a sunrise or sunset or just an awesome view of the sky.  I often refer to these various scenes as God’s canvas.  My mother was a painter who never really fully understood the magnitude of her talent.  Her creative ability was seen in her painting, singing, sewing, and business sense.  Throughout her life she created many projects that demonstrated her range of competency.  Yet, she never received the acclaim she deserved, mostly because she avoided success and recognition.  However, for those of us who knew her, we can see her in other works of art.  I am often reminded of her when I am looking at another artist’s painting, or the work of a seamstress, a beautiful soprano voice, or a successful small business person.

We often find ourselves being reminded of those who have gone on when faced with something that was precious to them.  I have witnessed this effect numerous times at church, especially when a certain hymn is sung that was special to that some special loved one.  As I write this I am remembering a time when I led a song that my best friend’s mother had loved.  I made the mistake of looking at my friend and his wife and their tear-streaked faces.  It was tough to get through that song!  It is indicative of the human heart to view life in this fashion, relating our surroundings to that and those we love.

In that wonderful letter filled with the message of grace that the apostle Paul wrote to the church in Rome, he writes, “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse (1:20).”  This is what I see in a sunset, the mountains, forests, people.  God’s creative nature is seen everywhere we turn.  His artistry is without flaw and impossible to recreate, because his signature is on all of it.  He is seen in the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment